Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Penang’s new Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng answers queries sent in by readers of The Star.

Click on The Star Online link below to read Lim Guan Eng's (Penang CM) answers to The Star readers questions.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/3/18/nation/20675281&sec=nation

Selected Q&As

Without any experience working in the state or Federal Cabinet, how do you expect to run the state? Arlene

Lim: When we talk about experience, I always say that I don't have experience in corruption and misappropriation of funds. So it is with that attitude – that if we are honest and have a sense of integrity, we have the ability and capability to do it. Of course it is a learning curve but if based on good principles, values and governance, I think we can benefit the state and get things done.


One of the major reasons the people rejected the previous government was because of the lavish lifestyle of the leaders. Can you eliminate this and focus on being down-to-earth leaders?
Rizal H Ruslan (Tasek Gelugor, Penang)

Lim: Let me give you an example. For safety reasons, I was requested to move into the chief minister's official residence. The CPO said that my personal safety was his top priority.

I was making plans to do so but then I found out – typical Malaysian problem – bumbung bocor. But they just did the renovations. It will cost RM300,000 to repair but I did not want to come into my first term and spend so much money, so I am staying at my dad's place temporarily.
...


Can you comment on the fairness of mainstream media?
Ng Mok Huat

Lim: Let me give you an example: A newspaper asked me what I was going to do. I said we would still go ahead with the open tender. What was reported was that Guan Eng would continue to go against the NEP. This is completely false reporting.

We have complained to Bernama and they apologised. They take responsibility and hopefully will improve on this. What we want is factual reporting. This newspaper, however, is still caught in a time warp. They are in the dinosaur age.


No comments: