Suhakam: Cops guilty of excessive force
A Human Rights Commission (Suhakam) inquiry panel finding today ruled that the police had used excessive force during the Bandar Mahkota Cheras (BMC) fracas on May 27 last year.
The panel was of the opinion that there was excessive use of force by the police and the Federal Reserve Unit personnel on 23-year-old mechanic Chang Jiun Haur and his friend, Chan Siew Meng.
Chang had claimed that he was assaulted for no reason by Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) and other police personnel that night. He had claimed that the police stopped his car and assaulted him and his three other passengers.
The Suhakam panel today agreed with Chang and said that the excessive use of force had violated their safety and security.
However, the panel said that it was unable to identify the law enforcement personnel responsible for the violation due to "contradicting and unclear evidence".
BMC fracas victim to sue police
A victim of police brutality during the Bandar Mahkota Cheras fracas last May has vowed to sue the police force following a Suhakam finding today that the police had used excessive force against him
Twenty-four-year-old mechanic Chang Jiun Haur told Malaysiakini that he would be filing his suit after the Chinese New Year which falls on Jan 27.
"I will sue... we will see what happens after that," he said.
"I am not happy with the police because I have lost my front teeth, and according to the X-ray I had, it showed that I had some internal bleeding in my brain.
"It is better for me to do it (file the suit) while I'm still alive," he said angrily.
The Star Online
A violation of human rights
Suhakam: Police, FRU used excessive force