Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Someone Agrees With What David Said

Follow up letter from another The Star reader on David's letter to The Star regarding the cost of climbing Mount Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia.

Uphill task to climb Mt Kinabalu now
Tuesday December 23, 2008
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/12/23/focus/2868737&sec=focus


I AGREE fully with “Expensive to climb Mount Kinabalu now” (The Star, Dec 20). I am a student of Universiti Malaysia Sabah, and I climbed Mount Kinabalu in February.

The total cost only came to RM150 for accommodation in Laban Rata for one night and Sabah Park fees. Since then, I’ve encouraged my friends to climb the mountain because it is one of the most beautiful places in the country.

My friends from Kuala Lumpur planned to climb the mountain in August next year.

Unfortunately, the cost of accommodation there has increased by almost 300%. Starting next year, accommodation in Laban Rata will cost about RM450 for two nights. This is not including the RM100 Sabah Park fees.

Now, my friends are not sure if they want to climb Mount Kinabalu because the total cost including flight tickets and accommodation in Kota Kinabalu will be almost RM1,000. This is too much for students to bear.

I hope the Tourism Ministry will look into the matter.

RAYMOND RAJ,
Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: