Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Promise to Keep-Marriage seminar

Marilyn and I went to Glad Tidings church (Section 13) last night to attend Dr David and Jan Stoop talk on "A Promise to Keep - How to Build a Great Marriage". Hosted by Glad tidings Petaling Jaya and Focus on the Family Malaysia. Other Latter Rainers who there were, Daniel and Emily, glad they came too.

Date: 29-30 April 2008 (one more night, more spiritual teachings tonight)
Venue: Glad Tidings Petaling Jaya
Time: 8:00 -10:00pm
Free Admission


From the notes given last night...

"I didn't marry you because you were perfect. I didn't even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. That promise made up for married and it was the promise that made the marriage. And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasn't our love that protected them -- it was that promise."

Thornton Wilder, "The Skin of our Teeth"

9I pray that your love for each other may overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in your knowledge and understanding. 10 For I want you to understand waht really matters , so that you may live pure and blameless lives until Christ returns.

Philippians 1: 9-10


Some notes taken during the talk...
The cycle that destroys love.
A. Criticism
B. Defensiveness
C. Withdrawal
D. Contempt

The secret of restoring love.
A. Work at turning towards each other
B. Focus on listening
C. Give up the need to be right
D. Dialog

Primary emotion
- 3 main emotions mentioned...
1. Love
2. Anger
3. Fear

Anger and fear are opposites. What is the opposite of love?
"
18... perfect love casteth out fear..." 1 John 4:18 (KJV)
Opposite of love... is fear

Forgive one another
"31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Eph 4:31-32 (KJV)

1 comment:

CKChong said...

Aiyah, miss it. So can share to us what you learn later? I would loves to learn more so I can keep my blood pressure lower all the time. (Check my post on Happy Marriage, Happy Heart)